Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Downton Abbey Season 3 Episode 5


SPOILER ALERT! This post is intended for those who have already seen Season 3 Episode 5!

Well, Lord Fellowes, you have made me a happy woman again with this episode. We needed time to grieve Lady Sybil's death along with the family and you gave us a full episode to do just that. I think one of the magical abilities British filmmakers have is to veer from tragedy to comedy and back again effortlessly and this week Downton Abbey did just that. They can now throw another Emmy/Bafta at Dame Maggie as she gave us both the laughs and the tears this week.

Violet: I do not speak much of the heart as it is seldom helpful to do so, but I know well enough the pain when it is broken.

Violet: I suppose she has an appropriate costume for every activity.

See what I mean? One minute I am blinking back tears, and the next she has me snorting Earl Grey tea through my nose!



Poor Mrs. Patmore. The hormones in that kitchen are getting out of control. It's like a Shakespearean comedy down there! I did love the rollicking piano playing by Jimmy and the foxtrot dancing by all of the young-uns at some point in this episode. Slow...slow...quick, quick!

Mrs. Patmore: You know the trouble with you lot? You're all in love with the wrong people!

And Mrs. Patmore's best line ever: Do I look like a frolicker?

I also loved the tender scenes between Daisy and her father-in-law at the farm. Anyone else picturing Daisy selling organic jams and whole grain bread to the grandparents of yuppies in Yorkshire?



And poor Jimmy, our new footman. Could Thomas get any creepier with that flesh coloured glove under the table and those leering smiles. Shudder!!

Jimmy: A man can choose to be different without it making him a traitor.

What kind of different do you mean Jimmy? Are  you really gay but just don't fancy Thomas? And what is up with O'Brien (of the ever changing hairstyles) stirring things up again? She needs something more wholesome to occupy her time if you ask me. Can she not take up knitting? Or the foxtrot?


Lady Cora: Is it ever over when one loses a child? Is it ever really over?

Well, these past two seeks were finally Lady Cora's time to shine. After her heartbreaking scenes last week and her thinly veiled anger at Lord Grantham this week, I am now a Cora fan. Personally I would have ripped a strip off of him after he lost all my money on a stock gamble. Nice to see her dealing with her grief in a realistic way this week. But also how lovely of Violet to step in.

Violet: Lie is so unmusical a word!

Good for Dr. Clarkson to find out that he need not lie. The truth was hard to hear but very healing for us all. Now we can just hate Lord Grantham for being a snobby bigot!


Oh, yes, Bates is free. Yay. Apparently the pie crust did it.

So let me just end with some other wonderful quotes from this week. Love them quotes!

********************************************************************************

Violet: Grief makes one so terribly tired.

Tom Branson: My wife is dead. I'm past help.

Lord Grantham: There hasn't been a Catholic Crawley since the Reformation.

Violet: Do I count as one of the girls?

Violet: It seems a pity to miss such a good pudding.

Robert: I keep forgetting she's gone. I see things in the paper that would make her laugh. I come inside to tell her that her favourite rose is in bloom. And then suddenly...
Lady Mary: Say that to Mama, please...

*********************************************************************************

Oh, and here is a link for a Salmon Mousse recipe. I feel like I should try it since I have use of my limbs! Oooh, I found a recipe for Charlotte Russe as well. Mmmmmmmm. Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Love the Matthew and Mary scene. Hope Edith finds happiness soon, happy she is sticking up for herself. Thomas is in hot water! Oh dear... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! We are finally caught up with Downton with the airing of the Christmas episode last night. The ending must have been a terrible shock on Christmas day. Hey, I just got your comment on the Xmas episode as I was writing this. I am behind on my responses!

      Delete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails