Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Downton Abbey Season 3 Episode 2


SPOILER ALERT! This post is intended for those who have already seen Season 3 Episode 2!

Strallen you utter bastard! You cruel, waffling, doddery old man! Lady Edith is well shot of you. I smell a career in the future for you my dear.

Isobel:  You can help her by finding her something to do.

Hall Barn Beaconsfield (Sir Anthony Strallen's house Locksley)

Actually I was hoping she would have her moment of happiness (thumbing her nose to Lady Mary) and then Strallen would pop off on the Italian honeymoon leaving Edith as Queen of Locksley Manor. But alas, it is not to be for Edith.



Lady Edith: Hello Granny. Isn't it exciting?

Dowager Countess Violet: At my age, one must ration one's excitement.

*********************************************************************************

Dowager Countess Violet: I was rather sad you decided against Patou. I would have paid.

Cora: Lucile was safer. We don't want her looking like a chorus girl.

*********************************************************************************

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Julian Fellowes rather wishes he was a girl? In the 1920s? Living in a big Country House? The man is really in touch with his feminine side. Thank goodness, speaking as a fellowe girly girl! Sorry for that one. Couldn't resist.


The blame for this mess of course, can be laid squarely on the ever pudgier Lord Grantham and his dear mama Violet. With relatives like these, who needs enemies? At least wicked Mary is wishing her well at this point.


Speaking of wicked Mary, Matthew may be wishing for his dear, sweet Ginger Lavinia at this point.

Matthew: I'm not accusing you of faking it.

Yes, actually Matthew you were! And she is totally capable of it as you well know. But Daisy backed her up on this one. Daisy is the one who actually saved Downton Abbey. Someone give her a raise and two scullery maids to boss around!


I was glad to see that all out war had been declared between O'Brien and Thomas. And poor dopey Molesly is the pawn in their chess game. Bring it on!

It was also lovely to see Mrs. Hughs' story line resolve so sweetly. I was in tears when she spotted Carson singing to his silverware. My fave lines here were:

Mrs. Patmore: It's not cancer. It's a benign something-or-other, nothing more.

Mr. Carson: ♫ Dashing away with a smoothing iron, she stole my heart away! ♫


Greys Court, Oxfordshire (Downton House belonging to the Crawley family)

Thank goodness for Cora and Branson for pointing out that to move to "Downton House" and only need 8 servants would be heaven for anyone not as snooty as Mary or Lord Grantham. And what is this about still owning most of the village???? Boo hoo. Oh, well. Keep the gorgeous locations coming and we will forgive you, Sir Julian.


Well Chief Inspector Anna will soon have this case cracked but possibly not before Bates murders his cell mate or vice versa. And what was that thing he stuffed into the crack in the wall? A cigar butt with a knife in it or just a bit of spliffy? And what the heck has happened to Bates' bum leg? He must have been doing physio in jail as he seems to skip around that exercise yard.

Well we shall have to wait for the answers to these and other questions...as the Downton Abbey Turns.

Now Mrs. Patmore, give the tall footman some cheese before he gags on the Oysters a la Russe or some of the other "pickety bits".

*******************************************************************************

Violet: I really think you should go to bed. No bride wants to look tired at her wedding. It either means she's anxious or she's been up to no good.

Edith: I won't sleep a wink.

Sybil: Tonight or tomorrow?

Violet: Sybil, vulgarity is no substitute for wit.

Sybil: Well, you started it!

14 comments:

  1. I loved it. I laughed out loud at the parts in the dialogue you mentioned - it always startles my family. I loved the clothes, the hair, that wedding dress was downright amazing. poor edith. That poor girl just has more than her share of lousy choices. I kind of wish like you that she would have married and he died right off leaving her the lifestyle. I think Mary does care but she has to care for all involved so maybe it doesn't show. Why is Bates being set up and attacked again? Good for Daisy speaking up like that. I never liked O'Brien but I'm liking her and hating Thomas. can hardly wait til next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always howl at Maggie Smith's one liners. She always pulls a great face after she delivers them too!

      Delete
  2. Poor Edith! I didn't see this storyline coming at all! Why didn't Sir Anthony talk to Edith about having doubts before she got to the altar? That was cruel and harsh to jilt her! Also Edith doesn't care that Anthony is older and disabled, she loves him! I hope Edith finds a lovely and handsome man who will sweep her off her feet and love her forever!

    Carson was very funny with the toaster. I felt sad when Ethel said goodbye to her little boy. I hope Edith gets some encouragement from her family about writing for a newspaper and I wonder if Bates will get out of prison soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sir Anthony's timing was truly horrendous. I guess that's the last we see of him. I hope (wink, wink) that Edith gets offered a job like what you suggested. They haven't seen that part yet. :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry Jenny I thought they were showing two episodes of Downton a week. I can delete my post if you wish.

      Delete
    3. No worries Kate! We will leave it as a sneak preview. We are getting them in 1 hour installments now until the Christmas special which I think is longer.

      Delete
  3. I so look forward to your recaps, Jenny! And you ended it with my favorite bit of banter. Well done. I, too, wished that Edith had married and become a honeymoon widower. Off topic, but are you going to be watching Ripper? The dashing Matthew Macfayden is in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Beth. I love it that you guys love it. Where is Ripper coming on? Just in the UK or do we get it too? I do want to see it!

      Delete
    2. I haven't heard of this show. Do share... I'm curious to know when we are going to see Parade End. Or is it already available and I'm just out of the loop?

      Delete
    3. Hi Beth and Alayna,

      Ripper Street starts this Saturday Jan 19th 9pm (8 Central) on BBCAmerica.

      Parade's End starts Feb 26th on HBO.

      Both are supposed to be fabulous!

      Delete
  4. I was also predicting that Strallen would kick it on the honeymoon leaving Edith to be a "queen". My roomie predicted he would jilt her but I didn't see it coming. Sigh. I think she's better off in the long run, but that doesn't make the aftermath any more pleasant. Here's hoping that Edith gets some spot light, romance, and backbone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least things are happening to Edith I suppose. Some people in the UK were suggesting that she should go to university (Cambridge?) or go bumming across Europe. I would be all for that.

      Delete
  5. Didn't Julian Fellowes steal the line "Vulgarity is no substitute for wit?" Possibly Noel Coward or Oscar Wilde?
    Doris in Richmond, VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question Doris! I did a little searching and it seems as if it is a Julian Fellowes original. I did find one from Ralph Waldo Emerson which I don't like at all.
      "I am at a loss to understand why people hold Miss Austen's novels at so high a rate, which seem to me VULGAR in tone, sterile in artistic invention, imprisoned in their wretched conventions of English society, without genius, WIT, or knowledge of the world"

      Delete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails